Progress Update

This weekend I was working on finishing assets for being moved into my level, and terrain stuff. I started setting up the village area and am figuring out a few more clutter pieces that I could add to make it look more lived-in.

Additionally, i started moving my plant textures into Unity.

The overhead has the larger village area in the bottom right, and a farm area in the bottom left. The top center is going to have the gypsy camp area, and maybe a repurposed tower. (Still deciding if I want to keep that in the town or not) These are the only explorable areas just to make the actual map size a lot smaller than the current; the parts around the water are just for show.

Making a dense forest has been more time-consuming than expected since I’m not a fan of how the auto-placer sets trees.

I also started playing around with fog settings. I think I like this look better, but I might switch to trying to find a particle system that I can repeat to get a more selective fog effect. My biggest issue with the default Unity fog is that it’s too dense in the way it’s dispersed. You can change how far it effects, but as far as I know there isn’t a way to change the actual thickness of the fog itself. I spent all the time making pretty details, so I want to see them!

Otherwise, if I can’t get fog to work the way I want, I’m going to try switching to more of a nighttime setting. I really just want the level to have a more dismal feeling than it does with the sunset skybox. (Unless I change the story, which might happen because bright happy levels are nice too.)


ALSO, my Max is pretty close to being done. I’m finishing the rig up today hopefully, but the character is optimized and friendly for games.

Zbrush view.

3DS Max render.

Leave a Reply