Thanks to some conductive tape and finding out that I have tape in my dorm, I can actually have a physical setup. It’s a bit of a wire mess, but it’s actually framing the screen and is interactable. I did not go with the recommendation to go with a full border as that would limit the size of the screen that the project could work with.
I did, however, follow the advice to add a tree to the image (but not in the center; we do rule of thirds here). At first, while I liked the tree itself, I was not feeling the fact that it does not transition smoothly like the background. I then looked it up and found out that I can use motion tweening to change the alpha of the tree, so I made a fade in and fade out transition for each season for the tree. My next problem was to deal with playing the right transition (as I don’t want all three other seasons to transition out when I change seasons). As a result, I added a section to the patch that records the previous season change to play the right fade out. I also added messages to reset dynamic messages on load so that I don’t accidentally save a default state on them (such as background color and previous season).
Here is the interaction with the tree:
And here is the patch: