Michel Sabbagh final project

After spending dozens of hours in the IMGD Lab, I finally managed to build the level I (more or less) envisioned from the outset. I tried to be faithful to the original castle concept I crafted early in the term, even if there are some aspects of it that I didn’t fully incorporate into my level. But I made up for that by including one or two points of interest.

As a fan of the Thief games, I wanted to create a castle/museum hybrid that’s filled with priceless artifacts and goodies. I know the level is pretty barren, but the same could be said about the levels in Thief: The Dark Project and the Metal Age. I guess nostalgia played a huge factor in the design process.

I had a bit of trouble with the lighting effects and tiled assets since I frequently encountered some visual artifacts that might still be present in the final build.

Anyway, hope you enjoy my level and feel free to share your opinion with me!

finalized1 finalized2 finalized3 finalized4 finalized5 finalized7 finalized8 finalized9 finalized10

finalized6

Managed to update some of my components (lighting, textures, room size…). Unfortunately, I’m unable to upload a new build due to compiler issues on my PC, meaning I can’t even play my scene (and that’s not mentioning the missing prefabs). The only thing I can do is share screenshots of my tweaks on the blog post. Again, I’m sorry for the inconvenience 🙁

finalized1 finalized2 finalized3 finalized4 finalized5 finalized6 finalized7 finalized8

Michel Sabbagh final project progress

Near-final playable build:

Gonna post progress pictures of my final castle here. Feel free to comment on my WIP.

final1

final3

final4

final2

Recently incorporated some lighting effects into my scene. Looks alright, but I still need to work on some of its components (glossy reflections, going through walls…). Feel free to share your advice with me.

final5

final7

final8

final9

final10

final6

Added some fancy schmancy particle effects and tweaked the lighting a bit. Nearly done with my level.

final2

final3

final

 

Michel Sabbagh animation progress

Currently working on the animation for Mortimer. They look pretty good IMO and I hope to have them finished between Monday and Thursday depending on the feedback I’m going to get.

maya 2015-10-04 09-19-42-62

maya 2015-10-04 09-21-08-91

maya 2015-10-04 09-38-05-11

Managed to import everything to Unity.

idle

run

walk (2)

Made a few interactive animations.

mayainteract

unityinteract

unitydoor

mayadoor

 

Michel Sabbagh terrain progress

I just started work on the terrain for my castle environment. I added a few different tree models, grass “billboards”, and terrain textures to make the scene visually simple and appealing, and took advantage of the height maps to hide some technical and graphical idiosyncrasies.

terrain1

terrain2

terrain3

terrain4

terrain5

terrain6

I’ll incorporate the actual castle into my scene further down the line. Right now the approach I adopted is sloppy, and I’ll try to polish everything after I’m done with the most important elements of the scene.

castle1

castle3

 

castle10

castle9

castle11

castle12

castle13

Michel Sabbagh’s really fancy katana model

See for yourself. Bear in mind that this is just a WIP.

sword1

sword2

sword3

sword4

sword5

 

UPDATE: Applied primitive materials (both normal and specular) to my sword for placeholding purposes. Will re-texture everything later.

sword6

sword7

bump1

bump3

bump2

steel

Managed to apply all of my textures to my sword in Unity. There are still some seams on them, but it looks pretty good so far.

mode;1

model2

model3

 

model;4

Updated version below:

model1

model2

model3

model4

model5

model6

Made the hilt more metallic, added a samurai normal map to the butt of my sword, and made the blade sharper. Some seams remain on the handle, but they’re quite minute.

sword

sword3

sword2

Modular Building Progress Post

Going to update this post throughout the next two weeks.

DRAWINGS/SKETCHES: 

West Side (Fireplace)

Scan0012

North Side (where we first entered the room)

Scan0013

East Side (TV)

Scan0014

South Side (1st half/window)

Scan0010

South Side (2nd half/bookcase)

Scan0011

PICTURES (took so many of them, so I’ll first upload the important ones):

lib6

lib1

lib2

 

lib3

 

lib4

 

lib5

Model screenshots (started early!)

model1

model2

model3

model4

model5

model6

model7

model8

 

model10

 

model9

model11

model12

model13

model14

model15

model16

model17

model18

model19

model20

model21

model1

model2

model3

model4

model22

model23

model24

Made some slight adjustments to my model to make it more modular in nature while still giving the impression that it’s handcrafted.

NOTE: had to fix a few polygons here and there since some had more than 4 edges. That meant deleting the fireplace and importing an earlier, less muddled version. Also beveled some polys to make the scene look slightly more polished.

Nearly finished with my set. As you can see, I’ve UV mapped and textured all of my assets. I’ll now try to have everything exported to Unity.unitym1

unitym2

unitym3

unitym4

unitym5

unitym6

Newly revised version of my scene:

model25

model26

model27

model28

model29

Exporting job has been a success!

model30

model34

model32

model33